Sunday 17 March 2013

The Worst Day of My Life...


 February 28 2013

Today we had the devastating news that our beloved 15-year-old Sheltie, Nutty, has cancer of the mouth.
It started off an ordinary, perfectly pleasant day.
Boyfriend on a Short Fuse noticed yesterday that there was a bit of blood dotted about on the floor and we thought one of the dogs might have a scratch and weren’t too worried. Then he looked in Nutty’s mouth and noticed he had a pink bleeding growth around the teeth in his lower jaw.
His appetite has been good and he is drinking normally (although he always drinks rather a lot), he is in good spirits and wagging his tail as usual. So we thought it must be some sort of abscess or tooth infection.
I rang the homeopathic vet but he had just left so we took him down to the conventional vet in Elizabeth Street. While Boyfriend on a Short Fuse was waiting with Nutty, I popped into the off licence next door. At this point I wasn’t too worried and joked to the assistant, `I’m taking my dog to the vet, so if it’s bad news I’ll need a glass of champagne and if it’s good news I’ll need a glass of champagne’ (shades of Mrs Bollinger).
Imagine my horror when she diagnosed squamous cell carcinoma (a type of mouth cancer). I am no longer the public weeper I used to be, I actually dislike public displays of emotion the older I get (very English), but the pain was so visceral, like a knife in my heart and I just lost control. I burst into tears and was unable to stop sobbing for hours afterwards. While I waited to pay I was sitting in the waiting room full of people, just sobbing.
Boyfriend on a Short Fuse stormed off with Nutty as he hates it when I cry and everybody else studiously ignored me.
I couldn’t believe the diagnosis. Nutty has always been so lucky, somehow untouched by the ravages of illness or old age. He is a super-dog. This is so much worse than Mum dying, isn’t that odd? But I love my beloved boy more than anyone, more than boyfriend, more than family. He is my family. He has been part of our pack for over 15 years. He knew my mother and grandparents, we have so much shared history. He is always with me, his little foxy snout always smiling, never complaining, he is so stoic.
I’ve taken some Ignatia for the grief and feel a bit calmer, but it is a nightmare. We aren’t that keen on this vet so I have booked a telephone consultation with the homeopathic vet, Richard Allport, tomorrow morning.
How I pray there is a treatment, the conventional vet can only offer surgery. She advised against this as the cancer often recurs…. But oh, surely it is worth trying. He is such a strong dog.
Boyfriend on a Short Fuse is doing his healing method, I am doing Reiki (I trained in it years ago and am rusty but it comes back) and we are chanting.
What else can we do?

No comments:

Post a Comment